• BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
FinanceTime
  • August 20th, 2026

FinanceTimeFinancetime

  • BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
Home
World
Middle East

Israel agrees on US plan for temporary ceasefire in Gaza, PM's office says

March 1st, 2025 | 22:41 PM WORLD Middle East 2

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest

Worth reading...

Syria says no Turkish military build-up planned at airbase struck by Israel
Hormuz shipping unchanged amid US-Iran stalemate, data shows
Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran
Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since Assad’s fall
By Reuters

Israel will adopt the proposal by U.S. President Donald Trump's envoy, Steve Witkoff, for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods, the prime minister's office said early on Sunday, hours after the first phase of the previously agreed ceasefire was set to expire.

On the first day of Witkoff's proposal, half of the hostages held in Gaza, both alive and dead, will be released, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said, adding the remaining hostages will also be released after a permanent ceasefire was agreed.

Witkoff made the proposal to extend the current ceasefire after realizing more time was needed for talks on a permanent ceasefire, Netanyahu's office added.

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem earlier on Saturday said the group rejected Israel's "formulation" of extending the first phase of the ceasefire in Gaza, but did not explicitly mention Witkoff's plan.

Netanyahu's office said Israel would immediately conduct negotiations on Witkoff's plan if Hamas agreed to it.

"According to the agreement, Israel can return to fighting after the 42nd day if it feels that the negotiations are ineffective," Netanyahu's office also said, accusing Hamas of violating the deal. Both sides have been trading accusations of violating the deal.

Two Palestinian officials familiar with the negotiation told Reuters that Israel refused to enter the second phase of the agreement or start negotiations about it.

Instead, Israel requested an extension of the first phase, conditioned on the handover of a number of alive prisoners and bodies for each week of extension.

Hamas, however, rejected and insisted on adhering to the agreement, entering the second phase, and obliging Israel to

what was agreed upon.

On Saturday, Hamas's armed wing posted a video showing Israeli hostages still in its custody in Gaza and stressed that the remaining hostages can only be freed through a swap deal as stated in the phased ceasefire agreement that began on January 19.

The ceasefire agreement halted 15 months of fighting, allowing the exchange of 33 Israeli hostages and five Thais for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees. It was meant to lead to subsequent talks to build on the ceasefire deal.

Talks about the ceasefire have been ongoing, most recently in Cairo, but have not led to an agreement.

  • Topic
  • Israel
  • PALESTINIANS/GAZA
  • CEASEFIRE (UPDATE 2, PIX)
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest
Previous article Syria says no Turkish military build-up planned at airbase struck by Israel

Related Posts

Middle East
August 20th, 2026

Syria says no Turkish military build-up planned at airbase struck by Isr...

Middle East
August 20th, 2026

Hormuz shipping unchanged amid US-Iran stalemate, data shows

Middle East
August 20th, 2026

Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since As...

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

US provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

Mossad director, Syria foreign minister discussed Turkish military deplo...

The Wire
Aug 20th 5 h ago
Technology

China puts robocops on traffic duty, minus the arrest power...

Aug 20th 5 h ago
Soccer

Japan's Miura, 59, becomes oldest scorer in Emperor's Cup h...

Aug 20th 5 h ago
Environment

A decade after earthquake, Italy's Amatrice struggles to re...

Aug 20th 5 h ago
ROI: Reuters Open Interest

The Iran war energy crisis is just getting started

Aug 20th 5 h ago
Media & Telecom

'Baby Shark' boy returns to stage as a K-pop singer

TRENDING ON FINANCETIME
Aug 20th, 2026 Litigation

SK Hynix to pay 60% of employee bonuses in company stock under preliminary deal, says source

Aug 20th, 2026 Asia Pacific

Outsider who could decide New Zealand's next government wants to tax wealth, not work

Aug 20th, 2026 Business

Aegon raises share buyback plan to 350 million euros

Aug 20th, 2026 Africa

South Africa's Exxaro half-year profit down 20%, cuts dividend

Aug 20th, 2026 Cricket

Australia look for response to 'Darwin Disaster' in second Bangladesh test

Markets-Sectors
BASIC MATERIALS +1.43%
UTILITIES +0.00%

  • BUSINESS
  • MARKETS
  • WORLD
  • POLITICS
  • TECH
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
  • MONEY
  • LIFE
  • SECTORS
  • Back to top
FinanceTime
FinanceTime

World Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News

Additional Services
  • Privacy-Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© Financetime.org 2026. All rights reserved. Hosted by LeadsDeposit.com
Produced by C-iT