Chinese police have detained a man suspected of wounding three people, including two Japanese nationals, in a knife attack on a bus used by a Japanese school in the eastern city of Suzhou, local authorities said on Tuesday.
Police arrested the suspect, an unemployed man in his 50s whose family name is Zhou, on the spot after Monday's attack, local police said in a statement, adding that he was under investigation.
The wounds of the two Japanese are not life threatening, while the Chinese citizen who was the most critically wounded is still undergoing treatment, the statement added.
An official at the Japanese consulate in Shanghai had told Reuters on Monday that a Japanese woman and her preschooler had been waiting for the bus at a stop when they were attacked. A Chinese woman was also wounded.
On Tuesday, China's foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning called the attack an "isolated incident" that could have happened in any country in the world.
China has seen a spate of similar knife attacks in recent months across the country.
Last week, a 54-year-old male suspect was arrested after a knife attack that wounded three people inside a subway station in Shanghai.
The same month, a 45-year-old woman was arrested after a knife attack killed two people and wounded 10 in a primary school in Guixi city of Jiangxi province.






