Under de Meo, who took over in July 2020 and is pushing through an aggressive turnaround plan, Renault has exceeded its cash-generation target in each of the past two years. The group is sitting on some 4 billion euros of net liquidity, according to Jefferies. That’s more than enough to finance Ampere’s development until 2025, when it is expected to break even.
Europe’s green car industry faces increased competition from cheaper Chinese vehicles, while European governments are wobbling on the subsidies needed to encourage price-conscious consumers to go green. De Meo, however, remains confident that the regulatory constraints the European Union has imposed on fuel-powered cars, including CO2 targets set at 50 grams per kilometre per car from 2030, will support the strong growth of electric cars.
In such a challenging market, an IPO would have been a distraction. De Meo’s goals are ambitious both for Ampere’s top line and its cost base. He plans to increase revenue by 30% a year until 2031, well above a forecast 18% annual growth for the sector globally, and shrink the cost of making an electric vehicle by 40% in the next five years. Ampere will need a focused management to meet such tough targets.
Moreover, a listing would have further complicated Renault’s holding company structure. De Meo has already split the group along five different businesses including Ampere. And Renault still sits on a 40% stake in $16 billion automaker Nissan Motor (7201.T) that it plans to partially offload.
Japanese partners Nissan and Mitsubishi (8058.T), who had planned to invest a total 800 million euros in Ampere, will have to decide whether they still want to proceed now that the stock market listing is no longer on the agenda. But they remain interested in an industrial cooperation for Renault on electric cars, so they would have reasons to go ahead nonetheless. De Meo also harbors plans to strike a deal with larger German rival Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) to create a joint platform for mid-size urban vehicles that would help drive down costs further.
The IPO plan may be revived in the future, if and when Ampere shows it can deliver on its targets. For now de Meo has his priorities in the right order by focusing on Ampere’s potential customers, rather than its potential investors.
Follow @pierrebri on X
(The author is a Reuters Breakingviews columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)
CONTEXT NEWS
Renault, the French carmaker, cancelled on Jan. 29 its plan to list its electric-vehicle division Ampere in the first half of 2024.
Citing adverse market conditions, Chief Executive Luca de Meo, who previously said the unit might be valued at between 8 billion euros and 10 billion euros, said it was a “pragmatic decision”.
The 10 billion euro group kept unchanged its business targets for Ampere, including breaking even by 2025 with 10 billion euros of revenue.
Renault said in a statement that its 2023 results would show its “ability to generate sustainable cash flow to finance its future”, including developing Ampere.






