U.S. prosecutors on Monday said two people have been charged in connection with a drone strike carried out by Iran-backed militants in Jordan near the Syrian border in January that killed three U.S. service members and injured more than 40 others.
Federal prosecutors in Boston said they would hold a press conference later Monday to announce charges against an Iranian man and a dual U.S.-Iranian citizen related to export violations and providing material support to Iran in connection with the drone strike.
One of the individuals, Mahdi Mohammad Sadeghi, was arrested in Massachusetts and was expected to appear in court this afternoon. The other, Mohammad Abedininajafabadi, is in custody overseas, authorities said.
The charges stemmed from what had been the first deadly strike against U.S. forces since the Israel-Hamas war erupted in October 2023.
U.S. President Joe Biden at the time blamed Iran-backed groups for the unmanned aerial drone attack on U.S. forces, which sent shock waves throughout the Middle East.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella organization of hardline Iran-backed militant groups, claimed attacks on three bases, including one on the Jordan-Syria border. Iran itself denied involvement in the attack.






