• BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
FinanceTime
  • August 22nd, 2026

FinanceTimeFinancetime

  • BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
Israeli vehicles drive on a road in southern Lebanon, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Lebanon border, in northern Israel, August 6, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Avi Ohayon
Israeli vehicles drive on a road in southern Lebanon, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Lebanon border, in northern Israel, August 6, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Avi Ohayon
Destroyed structures in southern Lebanon, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Lebanon border, in northern Israel, August 6, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Avi Ohayon
Destroyed structures in southern Lebanon, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Lebanon border, in northern Israel, August 6, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Avi Ohayon
Home
World
Middle East

Lebanon, Israel agree shortlist of countries that could send troops to verify Hezbollah disarmament

August 7th, 2026 | 16:59 PM WORLD Middle East 3

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest

Worth reading...

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement
Turkey to seek Interpol notice for Netanyahu in Gaza flotilla case
Iran-linked oil tanker falls victim to Somali piracy surge 
Israeli shoots dead Palestinian teen after settlers enter West Bank village, officials say
By Maya Gebeily

Lebanon and Israel have agreed a shortlist of countries that could send troops to verify the disarmament of Hezbollah ‌under a U.S.-brokered agreement, a Lebanese official said on Friday, with the United States due to pick countries from the list.

The official declined to identify any of the countries on the shortlist or say how many there were. Another Lebanese official and two foreign diplomats have previously told Reuters that Israel and the United ​States had vetoed France.

The list was produced during meetings between Lebanon and Israel at the U.S. embassy in Rome this ​week, the latest round of talks on how to implement a June 26 deal that links Israel's progressive withdrawal ⁠of troops from Lebanon to the disarmament of Hezbollah, which would be "verified" by a third party.

Hezbollah is not a party to the agreement ​and has refused to give up its arsenal.

"We have reached a short list of countries. We decided which parties were impossible for each ​and set the potential actors," the Lebanese official said. "The Americans will now decide, and could pick more than one country."

There was no immediate response from Israel's foreign ministry to Reuters questions on the shortlist. When asked about the shortlist, a State Department spokesperson said the talks were "productive on the technical and expert levels" but ​did not provide further details.

LEBANON REJECTS PRIVATE SECURITY FIRMS

The United States has been trying to broker an end to fighting between Israel and ​the Iran-backed Lebanese armed group Hezbollah, which has raged since March in parallel with the wider U.S.-Israeli war against Iran.

Two days after the U.S. and Israel ‌attacked ⁠Iran on February 28, Hezbollah fired at Israel in solidarity with Tehran. Israeli forces responded with aerial bombardments and a ground assault, seizing a strip of land extending about 10 km (6 miles) deep into southern Lebanon. More than a million Lebanese civilians were forced to flee their homes.

The Lebanese official said Beirut had rejected an earlier proposal for private security companies to play the role of third-party verifier of Hezbollah's disarmament.

"All of ​the actors proposed are countries. We ​still need to discuss exactly ⁠how this would work, how many forces would be deployed and how they would work with the Lebanese army," the official said.

A framework for the presence of foreign troops in Lebanon would also need to ​be agreed, possibly by housing them under a U.N. peacekeeping force in Lebanon, UNIFIL, whose mandate is ​due to expire ⁠at the end of this year.

The Lebanese official said that would require a new U.N. Security Council resolution, which the U.S. and Israel were now willing to consider in what he called a breakthrough. Other possibilities include housing the troops under a separate U.N. agency or through a memorandum ⁠of understanding ​with Lebanon.

The talks did not, however, produce an agreement on the next area from ​which Israeli troops would withdraw so that Lebanese troops could take control. Beirut had proposed Bint Jbeil and Khiam, two large towns that have been hit hard by air ​strikes and where Israeli troops have razed entire neighbourhoods.

The next round of talks is set for early September, the official said.

  • Topic
  • Israel
  • Iran
  • CRISIS/LEBANON
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest
Previous article NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

Related Posts

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involveme...

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

Turkey to seek Interpol notice for Netanyahu in Gaza flotilla case

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

Iran-linked oil tanker falls victim to Somali piracy surge 

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

Israeli shoots dead Palestinian teen after settlers enter West Bank vill...

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

Iran says Tehran must overcome 'unjust sanctions' as US ramps up economi...

Middle East
August 21st, 2026

Ships passing through Hormuz hover in single digits, data shows

The Wire
Aug 21st 1 day ago
Government

Trump administration moves to end attorney group's law scho...

Aug 21st 1 day ago
Africa

First migrants buried in Spain's Ceuta after deadly border ...

Aug 21st 1 day ago
Americas

Lula, Trump discuss tariffs in phone call, Brazil says

Aug 21st 1 day ago
World

US plans $725 million payment towards its large UN debt

Aug 21st 1 day ago
Middle East

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without allia...

TRENDING ON FINANCETIME
Aug 21st, 2026 Americas

Mexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

Aug 21st, 2026 Middle East

Turkey to seek Interpol notice for Netanyahu in Gaza flotilla case

Aug 21st, 2026 Litigation

Explainer: Why is Trump talking about the Keystone XL oil pipeline?

Aug 21st, 2026 Wealth

Guggenheim fund hits 17-year low after short-seller claims

Aug 21st, 2026 Wealth

Ken Griffin's Citadel sheds over $4 billion of Situational Awareness' bets

Markets-Sectors
ENERGY -0.20%
FINANCIALS +0.93%
TECHNOLOGY +0.14%

  • BUSINESS
  • MARKETS
  • WORLD
  • POLITICS
  • TECH
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
  • MONEY
  • LIFE
  • SECTORS
  • Back to top
FinanceTime
FinanceTime

World Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News

Additional Services
  • Privacy-Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© Financetime.org 2026. All rights reserved. Hosted by LeadsDeposit.com
Produced by C-iT