Israel said on Monday it had called up an unprecedented 300,000 reservists and warned residents of the Gaza Strip to evacuate in a sign it could be planning a ground assault in response.
Fighters from the Islamist group killed 700 Israelis and abducted dozens in Saturday's attacks, the deadliest such incursion in decades, prompting Israel to retaliate by pounding the Palestinian enclave of Gaza.
The El Al spokesperson added that no flights had been cancelled and that many of the airline's planes to and from Israel were full. The company did not say how many extra flights it would run, or where from.
Nimrod Nedan, a 23-year-old studying medicine in Lithuania, said he was one of about 50 Israelis at the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences in Kaunas who had been summoned by the Israeli army.
Nedan, who said a family member and a friend had died during the fighting over the weekend while two of his friends were missing, said he would be flying back via London in the coming days.
"I cannot sit here and study medicine while I know that my friends are fighting and my family needs protection, this is my time," Nedan said in an online interview.
Other reservists who have been summoned were making their way back to Israel via Berlin or the Czech Republic, Nedan said.
El Al is increasing flights as most major carriers cancel or offer a reduced service to Israel after Hamas' surprise attack.





