• BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
FinanceTime
  • August 20th, 2026

FinanceTimeFinancetime

  • BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
Palestinians search for casualties at the site of Israeli strikes on houses, as the conflict between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas continues, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, October 26, 2023. Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Palestinians search for casualties at the site of Israeli strikes on houses, as the conflict between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas continues, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, October 26, 2023. Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Home
World
Middle East

Despite Biden's doubts, humanitarian agencies consider Gaza toll reliable

October 27th, 2023 | 11:17 AM WORLD Middle East 5

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest

Worth reading...

Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since Assad’s fall
US provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan
Mossad director, Syria foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say
Israeli airstrike kills nine Palestinians at Gaza police station, medics say
By Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber

U.S. President Joe Biden has cast doubt on casualty figures provided by Palestinian officials in Gaza, but international humanitarian agencies consider them broadly accurate and historically reliable.

Although there is no dispute that Israeli attacks on Gaza have killed many people since Hamas ran amok in southern Israel on Oct. 7, Biden said on Wednesday he had "no confidence in the number that the Palestinians are using", without saying why.

The health ministry in Hamas-controlled Gaza responded by releasing a 212-page document containing the names and identity numbers of around 7,000 Palestinians it said had been killed in the Israeli bombardment of the enclave.

International groups, even some operating in Gaza, and global media including Reuters are not able to verify the figures but reporters have seen large numbers of bodies.

U.N. and other international agencies say there can be small discrepancies between the final casualty numbers and those reported by the Gaza health ministry straight after attacks, but that they broadly trust them.

"We continue to include their data in our reporting and it is clearly sourced," the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement to Reuters.

"It is nearly impossible at the moment to provide any UN verification on a day-to-day basis."

Dr Mike Ryan, Executive Director of the Geneva-based World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Programme, said last week figures released by both sides "may not be perfectly accurate on a minute-to-minute basis, but they grossly reflect the level of death and injury on both sides of that conflict."

New York-based Human Rights Watch also says the casualty figures have generally been reliable, and that it has not found big discrepancies in its verification of past strikes on Gaza.

"It's worth noting that the numbers that are coming out since October 7th are generally consistent or within logic for the scale of killings one would expect, given the intensity of bombardment in such a densely populated area," Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine Director at Human Rights Watch, said.

"Those numbers are in line with what one might expect, given what we're seeing on the ground through testimony, through satellite imagery and otherwise," he told Reuters.

FIGURES BROADLY ALIGN

Underlining the difficulties in calculating death tolls, a World Health Organization official said on Friday the agency had received estimates that some 1,000 unidentified bodies were still buried under the rubble in Gaza and not yet included in death tolls. The official did not specify the source.

While Hamas controls Gaza and exercises tight control over information coming out of the enclave, formal responsibility for the health ministry still rests with the Palestinian Authority (PA) in the West Bank.

The PA is dominated by Fatah, the main Palestinian rival to Hamas, and is responsible for paying salaries and providing equipment to Gaza hospitals.

It reports casualty totals based on numbers it receives from hospitals, ambulances and emergency services, in coordination with the Red Crescent, a spokesman in Ramallah said.

He said victims are initially identified by age, sex and injury type, and full identities are confirmed later. The figures are initially reported in Gaza, and updated in Ramallah after they have been checked, but discrepancies are generally minimal, he said.

Israel has not provided its own estimated death toll.

There has been no big change in the way Palestinian authorities report casualties since the last big conflict between Israel and Hamas in 2014, when figures provided by various entities were not vastly different.

In a report published on its website on Nov. 3, 2015, the Palestinian health ministry said the number of people killed in the July-August 2014 conflict in Gaza was 2,322.

A U.N.-mandated commission of inquiry reported that 2,251 Palestinians had been killed.

Although Israel blamed Hamas for the majority of the deaths in Gaza, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said in a report following the conflict that 2,125 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza, according to data gathered by the Israeli military.

The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, an Israeli think tank, said more than 2,100 Palestinians were killed, while rights groups B'tselem put that figure at 2,202 Palestinians.

ISRAELI CONCERN

Israel has been attacking Gaza since cross-border raids in which it said 1,400 people were killed by Hamas in southern Israel. Biden, who was speaking at a press conference, did not explain on Wednesday why he lacked confidence in the casualty figures provided by the Palestinians.

An Israeli military spokesman said this week the Gaza health ministry "continuously inflates the number of civilian casualties" and "has been caught lying in the past".

He cited the ministry's handling of an attack at Al-Ahli al-Arabi Hospital in Gaza on Oct. 17 which each side blamed on the other, saying the ministry initially reported 500 dead but later revised the toll down to 471. In a separate media briefing, another spokesman gave no Israeli casualty estimate when asked by reporters what Israel assessed the overall total to be.

An unclassified U.S. intelligence report seen by Reuters estimated the death toll in the hospital attack was "probably at the low end of the 100 to 300 spectrum". An Israeli official has said the toll appears to be "several dozen".

Palestinian officials said calculating the number of dead in the attack had been difficult because some victims were dismembered, meaning there were many body parts to identify.

  • Topic
  • Israel
  • PALESTINIANS/CASUALTIES (PIX)
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest
Previous article Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since Assad’s fall

Related Posts

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since As...

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

US provides $206 million for Gaza force despite deadlocked peace plan

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

Mossad director, Syria foreign minister discussed Turkish military deplo...

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

Israeli airstrike kills nine Palestinians at Gaza police station, medics...

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

France says West Bank violence justifies its sanctions against Israeli m...

Middle East
August 19th, 2026

UAE's financial embargo on Iran after missile threat puts rivalry back i...

The Wire
Aug 20th 4 h ago
Investigates

In China, rocket launches fuel tourism and space-age dreams

Aug 19th 5 h ago
Asia Pacific

Japan exports rise 23.2% year/year in July

Aug 19th 5 h ago
Baseball

D-backs score twice in 10th, salvage series finale at Red S...

Aug 19th 6 h ago
Government

US tells schools not to alter discipline policies to reduce...

Aug 19th 6 h ago
Transactional

China tax crackdown forces wealthy investors to assess thei...

TRENDING ON FINANCETIME
Aug 19th, 2026 Tennis

Paul ousts top seed Zverev to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals

Aug 19th, 2026 Litigation

AIA Group's first-half new business value rises 10%

Aug 19th, 2026 Energy

Brazil's largest thermal power plant shut down after equipment failure

Aug 19th, 2026 United Kingdom

Key moments in Prince Harry and Meghan's six years in California

Aug 19th, 2026 Sports

Orioles reinstate C Samuel Basallo (shoulder) to active roster

Markets-Sectors
ENERGY -0.16%
FINANCIALS -0.62%

  • BUSINESS
  • MARKETS
  • WORLD
  • POLITICS
  • TECH
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
  • MONEY
  • LIFE
  • SECTORS
  • Back to top
FinanceTime
FinanceTime

World Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News

Additional Services
  • Privacy-Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© Financetime.org 2026. All rights reserved. Hosted by LeadsDeposit.com
Produced by C-iT