• BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
FinanceTime
  • August 22nd, 2026

FinanceTimeFinancetime

  • BUSINESS
    • FINANCE
    • LEGAL
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • HEALTHCARE & PHARMACEUTICALS
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
    • ENERGY
  • MARKETS
    • EUROPEAN MARKETS
    • ASIAN MARKETS
    • U.S. MARKETS
    • COMMODITIES
    • EMERGING MARKETS
    • DEALS
    • RATES & BONDS
  • WORLD
    • UNITED STATES
    • EUROPE
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • ASIA PACIFIC
    • MIDDLE EAST
    • AFRICA
    • CHINA
    • INDIA
    • JAPAN
    • AMERICAS
    • FRANCE
    • GERMANY
  • POLITICS
    • GOVERNMENT
    • UNITED STATES
    • US SUPREME COURT
  • TECH
    • ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    • CYBERSECURITY
    • SPACE
    • DISRUPTED
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
    • BREAKINGVIEWS PREDICTIONS
  • MONEY
    • WEALTH
    • FUNDS
    • ETFS
  • LIFE
    • LIFESTYLE
    • SPORTS
    • SCIENCE
  • SECTORS
    • ENERGY
    • HEALTHCARE
    • MEDIA & TELECOM
    • SUSTAINABILITY
    • ENVIRONMENT
    • RETAIL & CONSUMER
    • AUTOS & TRANSPORTATION
    • AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE
The logo of Codelco, the world's largest copper producer, is seen at their headquarter in downtown Santiago, Chile, January 14, 2016.Ivan Alvarado
The logo of Codelco, the world's largest copper producer, is seen at their headquarter in downtown Santiago, Chile, January 14, 2016.Ivan Alvarado
Home
Sectors
Sustainability

Exclusive: Chilean copper miner Codelco, contractors fined after deadly mine collapse

April 13th, 2026 | 09:05 AM SECTORS Sustainability 5

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest

Worth reading...

Peru labor watchdog probes China's MMG Las Bambas mine after accident kills 2 workers
US auto safety regulator probes 1.2 million Tesla vehicles over suspension failure risks
Fujimori's mining push could spur unrest in Peru, study says
NHTSA receives complaint related to some Honda minivan air bags
By Kylie Madry

Chilean state copper miner Codelco was fined by labor authorities after last year's deadly collapse at its El Teniente mine, while three contractors whose workers were killed or injured were sanctioned more heavily, according to inspection records obtained by Reuters through public-records requests.

The previously unreported sanctions were imposed in the months ​following the July 31 underground seismic event that triggered a rock burst at El Teniente, the world's largest underground copper mine, killing six contract workers and injuring others.

Reuters obtained the files from ‌Chile's labor ministry through open-records requests. In Chile, such fines are notified directly to employers and can be challenged or reduced administratively, but are not typically disclosed in public announcements.

At the time of the accident, then-Labor Minister Giorgio Boccardo said that his office and the mining regulator, Sernageomin, would investigate the causes of the incident and whether any labor-safety rules had been breached.

The quake, measured at about magnitude 4.3, led to a halt in all underground operations at the sprawling mine complex amid rescue efforts and safety inspections.

The collapse ​carried a significant production cost for Codelco. The company has said the shutdown of underground operations at El Teniente and a slow restart cut copper output by tens of thousands of metric tons, disrupting shipments at ​a time of tight global supply.

The disaster also underscored the geotechnical risks facing Chile's aging underground mines.

CONTRACTORS FINED MORE THAN CODELCO

The records show the three contractors were fined the ⁠equivalent of about $87,000 combined, versus roughly $20,000 for Codelco, a gap that reflects Chile's split-liability framework for subcontracted work.

While the principal company - Codelco - can be penalized for overarching safety failures, contractors remain directly responsible as employers for accident reporting, ​risk assessment, worker assignment and other compliance duties, under Chile's labor code.

In one sanction, labor inspectors said Codelco lacked a complete, written procedure showing how seismic warnings were used to decide whether work should stop or be restricted.

After the ​accident, regulators also found that Codelco violated labor rules when workers were found entering, or preparing to enter, underground areas while the mine-wide suspension remained in force, according to a separate sanction record.

Under Chilean labor rules, some serious or fatal-accident violations can be fined at up to 150 UTM, an inflation-linked Chilean tax unit, or about $11,000 at current values, per infraction. The regulator levied a 340 UTM penalty, roughly $26,000 in today's terms, on a company after a fatal construction-site collapse in a 2007 case.

Labor advocates and worker-safety specialists ​have questioned whether such small penalties carry enough deterrent force for major employers.

"It is essential to raise the size of fines in order to effectively deter companies from violating mining safety regulations," a Chilean House of Representatives investigative ​commission report said in 2011 after a mining disaster.

Proposals since then to hike up fines for serious or fatal workplace accidents have not gotten off the ground.

CODELCO DETAILS CHANGES

Since the collapse, Codelco has said it tightened safety procedures for restarting work at ‌El Teniente, ⁠adding safety briefings at the start of shifts, improving communications underground, stepping up checks on workers' locations and reviewing protective equipment.

It later said an independent panel led by a former Anglo American CEO was examining what caused the accident and whether broader management or workplace problems played a role.

In a statement to Reuters, Codelco said that its seismic alert response system was active the day of the accident, and that it had appealed the fine by the labor ministry.

It added that there was an "ongoing legal proceeding related to the oversight of worker entry during the work stoppage" and that it was awaiting a decision from authorities.

Codelco said in August that El Teniente mine manager Andres Music would leave ​his role, and in February announced the departure of three ​senior executives after an internal audit found inconsistencies and ⁠concealment following a separate rock burst at the mine several years earlier.

SUBCONTRACTORS TALLY LARGER FINES

Among the three contracting firms fined, Strabag (STRV.VI) subsidiary Zublin was fined for failing to report a worker's death within 24 hours. Inspectors found that although the company knew about the fatality within two hours, it didn't notify labor authorities until the following evening.

Immediate reporting ​is critical to implement emergency safety measures to protect remaining workers, the report said.

The Austrian company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A unit of ​Chilean construction firm SalfaCorp (SALFACORP.SN) was also ⁠sanctioned after one of its workers died in the Andesita sector of the mine. Inspectors said the company failed to immediately report the fatal accident to authorities, in addition to other offenses.

The records also said Salfa's risk assessment did not adequately account for seismic hazards and that the company failed to do enough to protect workers' lives.

SalfaCorp did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Chile's labor regulator also fined Constructora Gardilcic, the unlisted contractor whose workers were killed and injured in ⁠the Recursos Norte ​area of the mine.

Inspectors said the company reported the accident late, delayed filing injury reports and showed weak safety planning.

Authorities also concluded Gardilcic ​did not adequately account for the risk of violent rock bursts outside designated danger zones and put some workers in jobs they were not cleared to do.

Gardilcic did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

LONG ROAD AHEAD

Codelco has said the areas hardest hit by the accident ​will remain under tight restrictions while criminal, regulatory and technical investigations continue.

The company has pledged a gradual, regulator-approved restart, leaving uncertainty over when the entire mine can resume normal operations.

  • Topic
  • Chile
  • CODELCO/ (EXCLUSIVE, PIX)
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest
Previous article Peru labor watchdog probes China's MMG Las Bambas mine after accident kills 2 workers

Related Posts

Sustainability
August 19th, 2026

Peru labor watchdog probes China's MMG Las Bambas mine after accident ki...

Sustainability
July 31st, 2026

US auto safety regulator probes 1.2 million Tesla vehicles over suspensi...

Sustainability
July 15th, 2026

Fujimori's mining push could spur unrest in Peru, study says

Sustainability
July 14th, 2026

NHTSA receives complaint related to some Honda minivan air bags

Sustainability
July 8th, 2026

Australia watchdog reviews Big Four audit complaints amid KPMG probe

Sustainability
July 6th, 2026

French firm Carester to build rare earths separation plant in Malaysia's...

The Wire
Aug 21st 22 h ago
Government

Trump administration moves to end attorney group's law scho...

Aug 21st 22 h ago
Africa

First migrants buried in Spain's Ceuta after deadly border ...

Aug 21st 22 h ago
Americas

Lula, Trump discuss tariffs in phone call, Brazil says

Aug 21st 23 h ago
World

US plans $725 million payment towards its large UN debt

Aug 21st 23 h ago
Middle East

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without allia...

TRENDING ON FINANCETIME
Aug 21st, 2026 Americas

Mexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

Aug 21st, 2026 Middle East

Turkey to seek Interpol notice for Netanyahu in Gaza flotilla case

Aug 21st, 2026 Litigation

Explainer: Why is Trump talking about the Keystone XL oil pipeline?

Aug 21st, 2026 Wealth

Guggenheim fund hits 17-year low after short-seller claims

Aug 21st, 2026 Wealth

Ken Griffin's Citadel sheds over $4 billion of Situational Awareness' bets

Markets-Sectors
ENERGY -0.20%
FINANCIALS +0.93%
TECHNOLOGY +0.14%

  • BUSINESS
  • MARKETS
  • WORLD
  • POLITICS
  • TECH
  • COMMENTARY
  • BREAKINGVIEWS
  • MONEY
  • LIFE
  • SECTORS
  • Back to top
FinanceTime
FinanceTime

World Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News

Additional Services
  • Privacy-Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© Financetime.org 2026. All rights reserved. Hosted by LeadsDeposit.com
Produced by C-iT